Who should attend the course?
For any organisation who would like their staff to be upskilled in providing brief smoking cessation advice to their clients.
What will the course cover?
- The course leader will discuss the knowledge, skills, and strategies needed to assist you to help your clients to quit or cut down on their smoking.
- The “5 As” framework as a brief intervention technique.
- Smoking cessation for special population groups (can be tailored to your specific clientele).
- Quitting methods
- Supporting information/ referral services available for people wishing to quit smoking in the ACT
What will you get out of the course?
- Practical skills and knowledge to help clients quit smoking
- Understanding smoking behaviour
- Understanding stages of change model
- Understanding nicotine replacement therapy
- Knowledge of available resources and support
- Using the “5 As” framework for brief intervention
How long is the course?
3 hours in length. Can be adapted to meet the specific timing requirements of your organisation.
Who conducts the course?
A certified educator, trained in smoking cessation, and who is regularly updated on the latest information about helping people quit smoking.
How many people can attend?
There is no maximum or minimum number as long as the venue is satisfactory.
Where are the courses conducted?
The course can be conducted in your workplace, or a venue of your choice.
For further information contact Cancer Council ACT on 02 6257 9999